Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2021

Documenting a Day in my Life

 

I woke up at 6:30 AM this morning feeling groggy and frustrated at my lack of sleep. I hit the snooze button on my alarm, hoping the extra 10 minutes of rest would help me feel better. It did not. I reluctantly rolled out of bed, hopped in the shower, and began preparing for a busy day. The 15-minute drive to my office usually is quite relaxing and gives me a chance to listen to my favorite Podcast: American History Tellers. I prefer to arrive at work at least 10 minutes early, a concept that most in the military understand. The adage of "if you're not early, you're late" has been ingrained into my head for the last 24 years and is there to stay. Breakfast today is the same as every other day at the office: a bowl of plain oatmeal and a cup of coffee. First on my agenda today was a meeting with my boss and other trainers to discuss the following topics:

1)   Upcoming drill weekend 27-29 August 2021

a)   Headcount so we know how much food to order for meals

b)   Transportation: How many tactical vehicles and busses will it take to get everyone to Marseilles, IL

c)   Training requirements: Are the instructors prepared to train their respective classes upon arrival at Marseilles?

2)   Next month drill weekend 11-12 September 2021

a)   State budget issues and the probability of drill being canceled due to funding

b)   Identifying an administrator and graders for the Army Combat Fitness Test

The remainder of my morning was spent taking phone calls and responding to emails from Soldiers in my unit. Most of the questions about our upcoming drill next weekend. Some of the other daily tasks that kept me busy include but are not limited to:

·         Defense Travel System (DTS) – Inputting and managing Soldiers travel to/from all military-related duties

·         Training Management – Scheduling Soldiers for career progression schools and planning training for upcoming drill weekends

·         Payroll – Ensuring all duties performed are paid promptly

                Lunch was not very exciting today, but I planned on leaving the office a little early, so I decided to work while I ate. While peanut butter and jelly sandwich may not be the most nutritious lunch, it got me through the afternoon.  My reason for leaving work early today was to drive out the Rock Island Trail and go for a 5-mile run with a couple of coworkers of mine. We have been training for a half-marathon which will take place in October over Columbus Day Weekend. After our run and my heart rate returned to its average pace, I headed home to get cleaned up, feed our French Bulldog, Belle, and get ready for dinner with my wife and parents.

            My wife, Rene', and I met my parents at The Forge Steakhouse in Morton, Illinois, for dinner around 6 PM. The steakhouse was built at the site of an old blacksmith shop and still has the original forge on display inside. Steak, garlic mashed potatoes, beer, and great conversation made for an enjoyable evening. Afterward, Rene' and I drove home, put on comfortable clothes, and relaxed in front of the television while working on this assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Applying Algorithmic Design and Data Structure Techniques in Developing Structured Programs

     For an inexperienced student such as myself, that title can seem a bit daunting. Hopefully this post will help make it easier to under...