The mobile app I have chosen for this week’s discussion is called GroupMe. GroupMe is a free messaging app that allows you to create chat groups and then add or remove members as needed. It works a lot like group text messaging, and GroupMe is available on IOS, Android, and Windows phones. I began using this app when the Covid-19 pandemic hit. We needed easier means to pass along work information and updates without having to create new group text messages whenever a person needed added or removed. The app is simple enough for a new user to download and immediately start setting up chat groups. Users can edit their profile, adding a picture to be used as their avatar and a nickname which will show up in chats.
One of the functions I find useful is the ability to make chat groups closed. This means only the owner or administrator of the chat can add or remove members from the group. GroupMe contains a lot of the same functionality of IOS text messaging, but in a limited capacity. There are emojis, but not nearly as man y as IOS. You can send pictures, videos, and like people’s messages. A Quick Response (QR) Code can also be set up to easily allow members to scan and join a chat group.
One of the main issues I have with the GroupMe app is the inability to permanently delete chat groups. Several military schools I have gone to in the past used the app for students to collaborate with each other. However, when the school is over and the group is no longer needed, there is no way to remove it. The only option is to hide the group so that it no longer appears in the list of messages. This has been an issue for years and it seems like an easy fix to implement a delete option for the chat groups. I currently have a message from a Soldier sent in 2019 who is no longer in the military, but I can’t remove it from my list.
Another improvement I would like to see with GroupMe is an option to pin important messages or chat groups. While I don’t use the app as a primary means of communication, if I did my list of chat groups would fill up quickly. I would like to see the ability to pin an important chat group so that it remains on top of the list, or highlighted in some way to make it easier to access. This would save users having to scroll through dozens if not more chats to find a certain one.
When it comes to work related messages, I like having the option of read receipts. This lets me know who I need to follow up with via phone call if they haven’t read my email or message. The GroupMe app does allow read receipts for individual messages, but not for group chat. Adding this function for group chat would help me ensure information is being disseminated to the entire group without asking for a response from each individual person.
Overall, GroupMe is a great app that serves its purpose as a communication tool. The developers do take user reviews into consideration and have made improvements over the years. If you are a student or part of a project team and need to collaborate with others without having to exchange phone numbers, I highly recommend giving this app a try.
No comments:
Post a Comment